Growth Mindset

Professor Carol Dweck’s video is fascinating because it has so much truth to it. She begins by speaking of younger children, but her findings relate to people of all ages. We are all students beyond school and any person should relate to the difference in easy vs. difficult and the way challenges are perceived. The not yet perspective becoming a comfort zone is a work in progress for me. Interestingly, at OU I expected to be mentally taxed by my classes with a large amount of memorization, but I have found that the classes that push me the most have been about social problems. Last semester I learned a lot about organic chemistry, but the book I read in a pop culture class about Americans’ obsession with consuming cow flesh and the way it has affected our environment and lower income populations challenged me in a new way. It is natural to want to succeed and build confidence, but Dweck understands that it takes a “not yet” experience to gain true knowledge and actually show growth. I could certainly relate to those that experienced failure and wanted to run, which I translate to getting out of a class. I have an aggressive schedule this year, as I try to stay on track for graduation. Additionally, I had to have ACL surgery today that will involve a year of rehabilitation. This will be a physical challenge to add to my life, but Dweck inspires you to view it as an opportunity.

Dave Paunesku focuses on allowing the students to feel like they belong in order to achieve success. He points out the hurdles that teachers face as they work to make everyone feel like they belong and somehow make them comfortable with difficult challenges. This is why teaching is such an important profession.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Joshua the Biology major

Week 2 Story